I don’t know about you, but sometimes I just need to take a deep breath and settle in with a mug of coffee and count my blessings, name the gifts in my life.
If I am not intentional about remembering, naming, numbering, then my mind and heart get caught up in the circumstances swirling around me. For me, cultivating a spirit of gratefulness requires purposeful, deliberate thought. Contentment does not come naturally, I learn it through practice.
When I stop and breathe and look around and within me, I discover I have so many blessings – even the smallest gift comes into sharp focus.
So this morning, as I sip my coffee and slowly inhale and exhale, these are the blessings flowing all around me, these are the gifts I have been given.
• a surprise bouquet of flowers
• streams of sunshine pouring through the windows
• a pretty, cheerful tablecloth
• healthy, creative, active sons
• new mercies as I rose this morning
• God’s nearness and unfailing love
• children who can dress themselves and pour their own cereal
• a dishwasher full of clean dishes and a helpful child to unload it
• bright, cheery toenail polish
What are your blessings today?